© 2021 Water2H2 AB
Steam Methane Reforming
Steam Methane Reforming
H2PS-5 is a Combined Heat & Power (CHP) system. It has a capacity of 5 kW electric power, while in the combined heat and power (CHP) mode, it can also produce up to 7 kW thermal energy in the form of hot water. The system is multi-fuel fed, i.e. it can operate with either Natural Gas, Propane/LPG or Biogas, converting it to electrical power through an intermediate production of hydrogen using a Proton Exchange Membrane Fuel Cell (PEM-FC). The unit is equipped with a power management system delivering electrical energy in the required form (DC or AC, grid connected or stand-alone), depending on the application. It has the ability to operate in the range of 40-100% of its nominal capacity. Its maximum electrical efficiency is greater than 35% (based on LHV), while total efficiency exceeds 85%.
The integrated system consists of the following sub-units:
- Fuel processor/hydrogen production unit, where hydrogen production takes place via the reformation of the feeding fuel
- Low temperature PEM fuel cell stack, where power production takes place using the produced hydrogen from the fuel processor
- Batteries and electronic power management systems, where the excess produced power is managed
- Control system, capable to control the unit and to achieve proper, smooth and safe operation of the H2PS-5
Telecommunications providers rely on backup power to maintain a constant power supply and to ensure the operability of cell towers. In telecommunication stations, H2PS-5 offers many advantages which include reliability, low maintenance costs, reduced frequency of refueling and reduced cost.
On- or off- grid households and other buildings
Main benefits of using H2PS-5 include: energy savings due to high electrical and overall efficiency, reduced (or zero, depending on fuel) CO2 emissions, essential elimination of emissions of atmospheric pollutants such as NOx, SOx and particulates, and dramatically reduced noise and vibration level.
Sailing yachts and boats
Βoats longer than 10m need a supplementary power generator for power and/or heat production when docked or in the occasion of failure of the main engine. H2PS-5 offers the same attractive characteristics as in any other mobile application: reliable, economic, quiet, vibration free, and emission free operation.
The market for Auxiliary Power Units (APU) for trucks represents an interesting potential opportunity for fuel cell power systems. Replacement of diesel engines with a H2PS-5 power system will result in significant fuel savings, drastically reduced emission of pollutants and significantly quieter operation.
Small-size farms with biogas availability
Future and developing markets for H2PS-5 include small biogas producers in farms, food industries and food chains. In the biogas field, conventional technologies suffer from unreliable and interrupted operation due to the low heating value of the fuel, which is not an issue for H2PS-5.
|Water Gas Shift||High and Low temperature|
|CO minimization||Selective CO methanation|
|Feeding Fuel||Natural Gas, LPG/Propane, Biogas|
|Energy Production||5 kWe + 7 kWth|
|Max Electrical Efficiency||> 35% (based on LHV)|
|Max Thermal Efficiency||> 50% (based on LHV)|
|Power Characteristics||48 VDC *|
|Operating Range Capacity||40-100%|
|Dimensions (LxWxH)||0.65 m x 0.75 m x 1.65 m|
|Weight||~ 200 Kg|
* Other voltages available upon request
HHG is a family of Hydrogen Generators designed to meet demanding requirements of small-scale hydrogen supply, using fuels such as Natural Gas, L.P.G or Biogas. The system offers clean, quiet and efficient hydrogen generation under continuous operation with long service intervals. The standards systems HHG-20, HHG-50, HHG-100 and HHG-200 generate normally 20,50,100 and 200 Nm3/h of H2 respectively. Hydrogen purity ranges from 99,9% to 99,999% upon customer request. Natural Gas can be obtained from the existing network. Biogas can originate from various sources such as wastewater treatment plants, landfills or organic waste from industry and/or households. System design and construction complies with all relevant international standards and E.C. directive (97/23 EC, 94/9 EC, 2004/108 EC, EN13445).
The Hydrogen Generators are composed of four primary subsystems:
- The Fuel Pretreatment unit which removes fuel impurities and contaminants such as sulfur, ammonia and halides. A series of traps which is used operate in ambient temperature; thus, they do not require any energy input.
- The Fuel Processor which converts the fuel into a hydrogen rich stream.
- The Pressure Swing Absorption (PSA) unit which purifies the Hydrogen outlet to the desired level
- The Control System which ensures smooth and fail- safe operation. The units are highly automated with industrial grade PLC control systems and can operate autonomously and unattended. Remote monitoring and control are included.
- Automobile Refilling Fuel Stations for Fuel Cell Vehicles (FCVs)
- Power generation through Fuel Cell technology
- Industrial Processes requiring Hydrogen such as
- Oil and fat hydrogenation
- Electronics industry
- Steel industry and metallurgy (iron reduction, blanketing gas, forming gas)
- Glass industry
- Cooling of electrical generators
- Hydrogen enrichment for internal combustion engines which improves efficiency and reduces emissions
- Hydrogen enrichment of fuel of piston gas generators such as biogas applications
- Hydrogen injection to the Natural Gas grid.
Using fuels such as Natural Gas, L.P.G or Biogas or Upgraded Biogas
|Hydrogen Production [Nm3/h]||20||50||100||200|
|Feeding Fuel Consumption|
|Operating Range Capacity (%)||50-100||50-100||50-100||50-100|
|Delivery Hydrogen Content [% vol]||≥99.999%||≥99.999%||≥99.999%||≥99.999%|
|Hydrogen delivery pressure [barg]||7||7||7||7|
|Input Voltage [V]||400, 3ph +/- 5%||400, 3ph +/- 5%||400, 3ph +/- 5%||400, 3ph +/- 5%|
|Power consumption [kW]||<5||<15||<20||<25|
|Dimensions||20’ container||20’ container||40’ container||40’ container|
- CH4 content >91% 3.
- Commercial Propane, C3H8 content > 95%
Note: Hydrogen purity can reach from 99,996 to 99,999% upon customer request